My research interests are in several areas:
- Parallel systems and algorithms
- GPU programming
- Parallel algorithms in Bioinformatics
- Computer graphics and color quantization
- Computer Science Education
The following is a list of some of my current research and pedagogical projects:
- BeowulfCluster — I designed, constructed, and administer The Inferno: Washington and Lee University’s Beowulf Cluster which is used for a number of collaborative research projects.
- Graphics Processing Unit — I am working with students on several projects to program the GPU to parallelize scientific applications.
- Color Cut Quantization — I have worked on a new color image quantization algorithm for reducing the number of colors in a digital image while maintaining its appearance as much as possible.
- Graphix Windowing Toolkit — The Graphix Windowing Toolkit (Gwtk) extends the GLUT graphics toolkit for the development of cross platform GUI-based graphics applications.
- Parallel Python — I am working on a number of projects related to using the Python language for parallel computing.
- Distributed Memory — I am working on a project to evaluate and implement a toolkit for adding pseudo distributed memory to MPI.
- Cluster Interface — I am working on a project in which we are creating a a GUI user interface to act as a front-end for remote users, especially those unfamiliar with UNIX.
- Network Simulation — NetSim is a C++ software package for creating virtual networks and simulating the actual Internet. The various components can be extended as needed to evaluate network protocols for research or as a simple teaching tool.
- Course Techology — I have experimented with and studied the use of various software technology in the classroom.
In addition to the various projects listed above, I have written a number of software applications
- EZBackup — create daily and weekly backups on Linux systems.
and several plugins and extensions for existing software applications:
- Plugins and modifications for PmWiki
- Plugins and modifications for phpBB